ADR Procedures

The European Car Rental Conciliation Service (ECRCS) helps customers with unresolved complaints concerning cross border vehicle rentals within Europe.

To use the ECRCS Conciliation Service, the following procedures should be followed:

  • You must be a customer of a company subscribing to the ECRCS. We cannot look at complaints regarding the service or charges made by another company with who you may have booked the rental e.g. rental brokers.
  • Unresolved disputes may be referred to the ECRCS by the customer or the member involved, however the member cannot initiate a complaint against the customer.
  • The customer must have first fully exhausted the member's own internal complaints procedure and received their final decision.
  • The conciliation service can only help with disputes involving a ‘cross-border’ rental transaction occurring within the European Union - you must be a resident of the EU and the rental must have taken place in a different EU country. If your complaint concerns a non-cross-border rental you should raise the matter in your own country through any local dispute resolution process that may exist.

If your complaint concerns a cross-border rental, but is not covered by the ECRCS then you may wish to contact the European Consumer Centres Network (ECC-Net) to get more information about your rights.

  • The service is free of charge to the complainant.
  • The complaint must be submitted via our website. The complaint should be submitted to the ECRCS within 90 days of the final decision from the company.
  • The ECRCS will aim to resolve the matter using the information presented by both parties to the dispute. This information may include documentation, photos, videos, audio, and transcripts of calls. Based on the information available, the ECRCS will provide both parties with its findings and recommendations.
  • The ECRCS can only look at matters which relate to the car rental service, we will investigate potential breaches of the Code of Best Practice, which sets out the standards it expects from the car rental industry. These standards cover areas including advertising, customer information, car condition, pre- and post-rental inspections and billing. 
  • We will look to ensure that any charges we feel are incorrectly raised directly by the rental company are refunded in full.
  • The ECRCS aims to resolve complaints through the Conciliation Service within 30 working days.
  • We will notify both parties to the dispute of our decision in writing or by email. If your complaint is not upheld then you will be advised of the reasons why.
  • If the decision is found in favour of the complainant, then the rental company will be required to adhere to the recommendations made and will be required to duly process any refunds due within 10 working days from the date the decision letter was sent to the rental company.  No new evidence can be forwarded to the conciliation service after a decision has been reached. There is no right of appeal against the decision.
  • If the decision is found against the complainant, the conciliation service will close its file once its decision has been sent to the complainant and the rental company. No new evidence can be forwarded to the conciliation service by either party after a decision has been reached. There is no right of appeal by either party to the complaint against the decision reached by the conciliation service.
  • The conciliation service will close its file once its decision has been sent by ECRCS to both parties.

Please note that the service cannot investigate any matters which are deemed to be criminal in nature or fall outside the scope of the Code of Conduct. For example, we cannot look into personal injury claims. We cannot look at fines or charges raised by a third party, such as a parking or speeding fine, or charges raised by your booking agent.

No restriction of rights

Companies subscribing to the ECRCS must comply with the rulings of the Conciliation Service. Use of the Conciliation Service does not restrict the rights of a complainant to pursue remedies through the courts. The outcome may be different if determined by a court.


The service does not award any compensation payments in relation to alleged financial losses.


We cannot adjudicate on the quantum of the amount charged, only on whether the charge was correctly raised.